Welcome to the Willow Bunch Telegraph Office website!
The historic Willow Bunch Telegraph Office, at more than 110 years old,
is the oldest building in the town of Willow Bunch. This two story balloon-framed,
ridge-roof house was built in the early 1900s to serve as
the telegraph office for the area. This telegraph office operated from
1904 to 1931. Afterwards the building went on to serve as the Village Office,
Credit Union, and SGI office. It was also home to several families over
In 2007 I rescued the property and embarked on an ambitious project
to restore the building to the look it had in the early 1900s when it
served as the telegraph office for the area. This
restoration project is
a major ground up restoration, parts of which are still in progress today.
You are invited to browse through this website to learn about the
history of the Willow Bunch Telegraph Office,
its telegraph equipment, and the
restoration project. If you have any questions
or comments about the Willow Bunch Telegraph Office, the restoration project,
or this website, please do not hesitate to contact me.
- Mark A Noel in front of the Telegraph Office in c1909 - He was the telegraph operator from the time the office was established by the Federal Government in 1904 until it was closed in 1931.
- Telegraph Office, c1909
- Telegraph Office, 1920s - Note the addition on the right (west) side. The trees on the property were planted around 1909 and several still exist today.
- SGI Office early 1970s
- SGI Office early 1980s
- Vacant and Abandoned, 2007 - This is the building when the restoration project began. It had been vacant and abandoned since 1997. The town and the neighbors kept the yard reasonably tidy but the building was left to deteriorate.
- October 17, 2007 - West lean-to demolition well underway.
- November 17, 2007 - West lean-to completely gone along with other items around the like the front patio, front step, and back porch.
- November 23, 2007 - Removing many layers of siding.
- December 5, 2007 - Starting to see original siding.
- December 6, 2007 - All of the original siding exposed.
- April 21, 2008 - Building raised for new basement.
- June 17, 2008 - Building resting on new basement.
- October 29, 2008 - Installing new roof.
- December 6, 2008 - New roof almost done.
- February 13, 2009 - New (replica) windows installed.
- September 27, 2009 - Interior restoration far enough along that I could make it my residence, but there is still plenty of work to do both inside and out.
- July 8, 2010 - Installing and painting siding and trim.
- July 31, 2010
- December 2010
- December 2014